Search This Blog

Monday, 5 April 2010

The Curse of the Bank Holiday

Today is the Monday of a bank holiday. This means firstly that all of the shops on the street are dead as their doorknobs, and secondly that I expect to see nobody today.
I've been wrong on both counts. The florist across the road is open and doing many deliveries, and I've seen a fair few people in the shop. I have yet to sell anything, but fingers crossed my day in here won't be for nothing. That isn't to say I don't need the money - I'm going to London this weekend, which promises to be an expensive trip. I'm going with my best friend, and we have tickets to see an amazing musical, so it should be well worth the expense.
The shop has managed to go through the recession and come out the other side, slightly less motivated but alive all the same. People are a lot less willing to part with their cash nowadays, especially on something so frivolous as a party frock.
The emergence of online retail shops have rendered the physical act of shopping useless. We don't have to trawl the entire city looking for the perfect outfit - we can now sit on our computers and send a few different choices straight to our baskets. I'm not saying I don't do this - I find it incredibly tempting to have the internet and the lure of online shopping at my fingertips.
Having now succumbed to the persistent lure of internet shopping, I've now fallen for a beautiful steel boned corset online. Sadly, I can't afford it, but it's a stunner.

No comments: