Anyone who has ever had to make the jump from driving a car to taking a bus will know the trials that you face on such a journey. It was not my turn for the car today, so I set my alarm a bit earlier so that I could make it to the bus in time to actually make it to work. I arrived at the bus stop at 9.20am, giving me plenty of time to reach work before I was due to open. However, I did not allow for the fact that all buses are pathetic. My bus trailed in at 9.41am, and after picking up numerous pensioners, we finally left my *village* at 9.50am. Now, my village isn't particularly close to the centre of town, hence the 40 minute bus journey. It was now left to prayer that we might arrive somewhere in the ten minute bracket that had just opened up, but there wasn't a chance. We all knew that. All the pensioners going 2 stops down the road knew that.
Sigh. At least we picked up some speed on a long straight where nobody actually lives, which meant nobody got off and nobody got on for a while. When I eventually got off the bus, I had to speedwalk up to the boutique, as the nearest bus stop is miles away. I was late, obviously. Not as bad as I'd thought, but still late. Not exactly worth getting up earlier for.
I had quite an amusing evening last night. I've been a bit tired lately (anaemia), so my SO and myself have just been kicking back like an old married couple. We watch telly, walk the dog, maybe watch a movie and then go to bed. I haven't been up to anything exciting for a while. Although, that said, we did take a day trip up to the beach last week, which was lovely.
Anyway. So with another night of telly looming ahead of us, I quickly accepted when my dad invited us to B&Q with him. I offered my SO the front seat, something that rarely happens, so it was rather amusing when my father revealed that he wanted to return a length of guttering and that was the reason for the trip. His first try at fitting in the unusually long guttering was to get it in the boot, but so that it hung out of the front window. This involved particular embarassment for my SO, who was condemned to look after the guttering which was hanging out of the window quite a long way. As we picked up speed, however, it started flapping in quite a dangerous manner, so we knew we had to try to fit it in differently. The only other option was to have the extra guttering hanging out of the boot with the boot tied down, but we didn't have rope. The solution was obvious. I had to lie in the boot and stop the boot from flying open. I was gutted. All the teasing I'd done of my SO was invalid, because now I looked like a tit for lying in a car boot hanging onto the roof. I think the trip has spurred us to go out and do things, but I'm just waiting on my doctors appointment to stock up on pills.
I've got a surprise party tonight. The last surprise party I went to ended disastrously when we arrived at the same time as the surprisee and had to walk up his drive *with* him, carrying presents and trying to be nonchalant as to why we'd turned up.. Quite amusing, really. But tonight should be good. Although I only know 4 people going and I'm not sure the surprise part has been arranged too well, but it should be good. Optimism is best.
I'm starving. I'm off to buy a pie...
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment