Search This Blog

Monday, 18 August 2008

Lastminute.com

As I sit in the shop, singing aloud to Shania Twain and generally looking like a social misfit, I am going to try to relive Saturday in my mind.
Saturday happened to be the day of a large executive ball held in our city. The women who attend are notoriously last-minute; some have excuses, some don't. It's like a whirlwind in a day.
Anyway, so Saturday morning rolled around far too quickly, seeing as I'd been out for the night and crawled home at 4am. The day was crammed full of women who needed dresses for the evening, regardless of price. This is a very stressful exercise, because we are now looking for any dress that might not need altered to fit and we also can't sell two of the same to the function.
A high-flying customer of ours dashed in mid-way through the day, leaving her taxi driver parked outside the shop. She'd flown in from Singapore that day, and taken the taxi straight from the airport to the shop to buy a dress. She was like a blustering wind - I felt exhausted just from her 5 minute sprint around the shop. At least she purchased something in this time. Tiring. I nearly collapsed around 3pm, which is when my boss left me alone in the midst of the chaos, because she had to go to the function herself. Luckily, another colleague came in to assist, and peace was restored.

No comments: