Search This Blog

Wednesday, 10 June 2009

"This job would be great, if it weren't for all the customers.."

I love our customers, but the phone keeps ringing today and it's driving me insane. Every single call is looking for my boss, and they seem hugely disappointed that it's just me today, and that I can't help them whatsoever, other than penning their number and promising to pass on their messages.
When there's a customer in the shop, it always annoys me that I have to abandon them mid-conversation in order to answer the phone; if I don't do this, the phone rings continuously through our conversation, until the customer finds this so awkward that they ask tentatively...."you can answer it, you know.."..
It even rang when I dashed to the toilet. I'm not Stretch-Armstrong, and I can't flop my limbs around to grab the phone from the bathroom. Nor was I bothered enough - it's just irritating that I missed someone with a potentially important query because they phoned the exact moment I needed the toilet!

Rant over. I'm sitting in the shop regretting my choice in woolly cape (it's sweltering) and eating beef flavoured Monster Munch, and wondering why nobody is shopping. There are the opposite ends of who we target - the schoolchildren, who have no money aside from their pocket money funds - and the older gentlemen, who don't want to pay for fickle things such as dresses, unless they're for themselves. I worry because a massive shopping centre is about to open here in the Autumn, which will create a vacuum for most shoppers and lure them in. There will be no need for shoppers to make the walk up to our area of town, and pretty soon we'll be a ghost town. Boarded up windows will be the norm, and tumbleweed wouldn't look out of place. I'm scared that we're going to lose business; even though we're still a niche market, people are going to head to the big centre with the 8-storey car park, air conditioning and Starbucks. We only have a kettle.

No comments: