Search This Blog

Wednesday, 24 October 2012

What's the plural of crisis?

I'm having a mid-twenties crisis. Not the most crucial of crises, I understand, but one nonetheless. I am in full-time employment, in a respected establishment, yet I find myself underwhelmed and unfulfilled by life. My job, when you get down to the nitty gritty, is telling people how they look in an outfit. I did not go to University for that. I did not learn a second language or travel the world so that I could do that. I don't think my parents raised me to do that, either. I feel wasted, and at the same time, I feel unable to do anything else as I've been conditioned into retail, believing this is all I am capable of. This crisis has come about because it has been a year since I graduated, and surely, I should have found myself by now, right? A whole year has passed and I'm none the wiser. In fact, nothing has changed except my haircut.

I find myself constantly comparing myself to others; asking why they seem to find it so much easier than I do.

Why didn't I choose a more focused degree? Surely I'd have a job by now if I did?
Well, no. I chose the degree that I was most passionate about and desperately wanted to do. I would not have lasted four years in a degree that didn't thrill me. I barely lasted in one that did. So, if it wasn't my degree choice, what was it?

Why didn't I quit this job years ago and get more experience in an office?
Well, no. I did work experience in an office when I was younger and left with a firm idea that it wasn't for me. I dislike the idea of sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life, however, it is what I do at work now anyway, so there wouldn't be much difference. But I didn't want to leave years ago. I was happy, and I am happy, doing what I do. For now. There has never been a question that I wouldn't leave - this is a temporary job; something to pay the bills while I mull over my life. If I wanted to leave, I would have left.

I feel like I'm wasting precious time, that I should try something new before it's too late and escape the clutches of retail.

So, I have a plan.

January: ski holiday with good friends. Enjoy, have a blast, etc.
February/March: spend numerous weeks in the States with good friends. Enjoy, have a blast, etc.
Come back, newly refreshed and fulfilled, with no job in retail. No choice but to find a new job.

Voila.


No comments: