Sigh. It always pains me to come back to reality after going on holiday or even just having some time off. I've spent the last week on holiday with my significant other, whose family lives in the countryside. Now, whilst I'm not exactly a country bumpkin, I'm not a city gal either. I sway from side to side. But once I arrived, I seemed almost foreign to the fields, much of which was brought out by the fact that I don't and wouldn't own wellies or a rain mac. But this doesn't bother me. I don't mind being muddy. I don't mind being wet. It doesn't bother me if my hair is ruined, or if I need to wash my jeans after walking the dogs.
I had a great time. The place is so quiet and picturesque it's hard to feel stressed. Relaxing in front of a log fire can't be beaten. Driving around the countryside with my other half, singing to old songs and chatting about life was fab. Visiting the horse and driving 8 miles to get milk was fun. Loved it.
But now, I'm back. The shock was harsh this morning. Especially since I had to rely on public transport to get to work. Surprisingly, it turned up early and nobody got on, so it was a pretty quick journey. Now I'm working my way through a long list of tasks to do, which involves a lot of phone calls and stock invoicing. It's hard to explain, but a place can carry its own burden. As soon as I arrived back here, the stress that I feel here was firmly on my shoulders. Suddenly, everything seems real. Now I'm back to my usual stressed self, worrying about timetables and work shifts, freshers week and helping my significant other to get a job. It's all very grown-up and terrifying. I'm only nineteen. I have no experience with unemployment, rental contracts and being in debt. But I have to face it because he has to face it, so we're facing it together. Saving is out of the window until he finds a job, because right now I'm the breadwinner.
It's harder than it seems to get a job. I always thought it was quite easy. My mum has never had a problem. She applies, interviews well and lands the job. My dad took a bit more effort when we moved here, but within weeks, he had his job. My brother is lazy, and so doesn't count. I think he hopes jobs will land on his door and he'll have to rifle through for the easiest/highest paid. But my significant other is proving a bit more tricky. But we're working hard to get one, whatever it may be. Not exactly being fussy right now. He just needs money to pay his rent and to pay his parents back for paying his rent.
Life is most definately a beach.
Tuesday, 16 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment