Why are there so many obstacles when you are in a dire rush? Are they always there but just aren't so noticeable because you're not trying to overtake 8 buses and a taxi?
I had a slight emergency this morning, mostly my fault. A friend of my significant other passed away recently, so I took my SO's black suit to the dry cleaners to get ready for whenever the funeral would be. Organised, but about an hour after I dropped it off, we found out that the funeral would be tomorrow. Gutted. The suit wouldn't be ready - I checked. And when I called to see if I could pick it up without it being dry-cleaned or whether they could speed up the process, they said that they'd already doused it in chemicals, thus there was no-can-do. No suit for Significant Other.
So at midnight last night I was ironing his spare black trousers, he was ironing his white shirt and my mum was trying to find my dad's black tie. Nightmare. And at 9AM this morning, we made a dash to ASDA to find a cheap black blazer to finish the mourning look. Ended up dropping my SO at 10AM on the dot, the exact moment I was supposed to be putting my key in the shop door and welcoming our potential customers to spend their pay on our goods.
As soon as I hit my internal panic button, the entire geriatric population of the city appeared on the roads for their annual road trip to nowhere. My normal route takes me along a country road thats 60mph for a reason - it's a fast paced road; not for the light-hearted. Of course, the first granny decides that 60 is far too near her own age and drops it down to 35mph for comfort. Had to overtake her on the first of the mere 2 overtaking spots on the road. Then, out of nowhere, a car pulls out. Slowly. And for some reason, doesn't seem in a hurry to accelerate, even though there's a row of cars shoving up his rear doing at least 60mph. Overtook him on a semi-blind, fearing for my life and cursing the aged at the same time. I'll respect my elders when they learn to drive! Right, cooling down.
Onwards to the boutique, where I put my key in the lock at 10.14AM exactly. Not too bad. It's now an hour and a half later and one person has scoured our rails, so I'm assuming a slow day is ahead. The weekend was dire - about ten people came into the shop, mostly old people shopping for a bridesmaids dress for their cousins sisters dog walkers estranged transexual son. Muppets.
Monday, 7 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment