Search This Blog

Wednesday, 11 June 2008

It's amazing who you meet in the dress industry.


So I just sold the most beautiful fawny gold bubble dress to a lovely lady. She was genuinely lovely. She brought her newborn in with her the first time she came to see the dress, and he was a charmer. She informed me that she owns one of the vintage boutiques in the city, to which I was surprised! I'm a major fan of vintage/retro/kitsch, but mainly buy my one-offs from a particular vintage boutique, and apart from that, either Etsy.com or I physically go to other cities. Now I have a new place to scout out, and better yet, they have a special order service so they can take in pieces just for you. Tres exciting. Must go have a cup of tea with her sometime!

If you couldn't guess, the shops a bit quiet today. I've got a woman coming in who's recieving some kind of swanky award and thus needs a showstopper, so I've picked out some of the best pieces for when she arrives. Apart from that, it's been phonecalls tracking down more dresses for people and posting out colour swatches to people who want to find the perfect shoes. It's a hard life.

But on a shimmeringly brighter note, I found out this morning that I have successfully passed first year of University! Yes, that's correct. Even the modules I had to take for my course yet had no interest in gained me high marks! It's amazing what you can do when you skive a term of Uni and study only the weeks before the exam!

My better half has the family visit coming up next week, of which I am currently enrolled to attend. I'll be honest, I'm absolutely terrified. I've been with him for 14 months now, and he stays at my house once a week, has dinner with my family at least twice a week, and we now call the room he stays in "his" bedroom. It's actually just the study, but whatever helps us sleep at night. So yeah, I'm feeling slightly panicky because I've never met his family. I don't even know their names. I've glimpsed his sister once, and she looked like she was a lovely person, but that didn't help. And to top it off, all I can think about is whether I should be myself, a slightly delusional teenage girl addicted to vintage clothing and dying my hair, or the more mature version of myself, a bit plain, articulate, doesn't make much of an impression. Actually, that just answered it. I'm pretty scared that they're terrified of me, my sense of style and how I come across, mostly because I only have 3 days to prove that I'm not insane and that I am in fact worthy of being their only son's girlfriend. BUT, I've ordered a vintage dress for the occasion, and it's a belter. I'm not sure how they'll cope with it. I love it to pieces, but from what I've heard, they're a bit more normal than I am. You'll see from the picture that it's gorgeous, but I don't know if its a bit much for a first impression. Ach well. I'll let you know how it goes down.

No comments: